[ale] Android apps for reading books WAS: Print vs electronic:

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Sep 27 11:08:54 EDT 2021

On 9/25/21 6:18 PM, Bob Toxen via Ale wrote:
> Uh, I swap foreground/background colors to show white text on a black background,
> for decades.  MUCH EASIER on the eyes!
>
> As I've aged I increase font size.
>
> Bob

+1.  white/yellow/green text on a dark/black background. Definitely.

Sometimes I like paper books, but most of the time, it is on a tablet where I read for enjoyment. A tap to change pages is so easy. Almost always use epub for how-to guides that aren't computer related.  Having a dashboard diagram on a tablet in the car when I'm upside down trying to replace a master relay with 5 unseen screws is really ideal for the service manual.

For fiction, I also like audiobooks.  The tablet can play those too and the library provides more than I can stand, let's me speed up the playback speed, etc. They are better than 2rd grade, after lunch, books read by the teacher to the class. You know, "story time." ;)

For technical books, I love epub since it can be searched, but then if I have the paper version, about 20% of the time, I'll get that out and digests the chapter for more complex subjects.  It just depends on the subject.  "Idea" books vs "what to type" books need different types of reading.

And definitely get a comfy chair, cloth, recliner for reading. Something that feels good on the skin AND a small, warm, throw for winter. Nothing wrong with a nap in a comfy chair.  That's what dad's should do on Sunday afternoon, at least once a month. Snoring is extra.  I'll often listen to quiet classical music or Gregorian chants while reading too. Something to prevent other noises around the house/outside from interrupting. No need for name-brand, IME, though the La-Z-boy is usually great if you get a model that fits. They all seem to last 20+ yrs.

A work "task" chair is a completely different thing.  No need to spend $500+, but somewhere between $200-$400 is probably necessary.  I had a "Global" chair at work that I loved, it was fully adjustable, found a used one at a used office furniture place in NE ATL for sub-$200. Best purchase I've made.  Chairs bought since that one have all been less than great. I'm on an $800 chair now and have added extra cushions to get anywhere near adequate comfort. I need to find that 6-way Global chair again.

On Android, I use an app ... Aldiko for reading and M.A.L.P. https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.gateshipone.malp/ to control the mpd server in the room. It allows switching between different mpd servers. I have 3.
Need to check out "Book Reader" in the f-droid store. https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.github.axet.bookreader/ Aldiko is proprietary - so full of tracking.
I avoid using the Kindle app. For audiobooks, there's an app called "Voice" which is amazing. https://f-droid.org/en/packages/de.ph1b.audiobook/

Which android apps do people use for "reading?" I'd prefer to avoid the google and amazon infrastructure, if possible.