[ale] Training recommendations

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Tue Oct 26 15:08:29 EDT 2021

That's a good question.  Some of the ALE participants are old enough to
predate the bootcamps and certifications that are now available, and I'm
one.  Whatever you wind up doing, I'd suggest making time to build, try,
and destroy systems.  If you get a couple Raspberry Pi tiny computers, for
example, or a little test bed of four computers, you can try installing
different operating systems; maybe graduate to using PXE to do it if you're
interested; set up a wireful LAN (closed off from any other network, so
mistakes are cheap) and have one machine serve DNS to the others; set up an
NTP server; try out qmail (do people still use qmail?  It used to be the
secure choice in 2002 or so); set up LDAP and have the other machines
authenticate using that; ...

These are ambitious goals, each of which provides an interesting context
for learning more about basics like chmod and intermediate stuff like PAM
or kernel modules.  Learning in little projects like these will sometimes
get you ahead of the bootcamps and certification programs before you
realize it, and you'll be learning general ways to get things done, not
specifics tied to a certain distro.

  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>