[ale] Training recommendations

jon.maddog.hall@gmail.com jonhall80 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 26 17:10:08 EDT 2021

It depends on you, but what I would recommend is looking at the LPI (lpi.org) website and picking out their LPIC professional certifications (LPIC-1, LPIC-2 and LPIC-3).

LPIC-1 is a basic systems administrator
LPIC-2 is a network/senior administrator
LPIC-3 is mixture of different things (security, mixed systems, database, etc)  Think of it as a series of merit badges

Here is LPIC-1:

https://www.lpi.org/our-certifications/lpic-1-overview

Then look at the objectives and exam topics of each exam.  For each topic ask yourself "Do I know how to do that?"  If you do (and no "cheating") great!  Check it off.

If you do not know how to do it, or have forgotten, or (worse yet) think "I do not even know what they are talking about" it is time to read manuals, search the Internet, ask friends, etc.

Get a couple of old laptops or use VMs to set up a "network" of computers to practice with.

Get a nice book from Amazon on Linux Systems Administration, or look at the free stuff from many of the major distributions.

You could also look around for community colleges that teach Linux Systems Administration.  There are more of them these days than 25 years ago.

md