[ale] Protocols

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Tue Jun 22 11:46:49 EDT 2021

Sorta data-point I guess:

The email client ("mail") I used long ago used "r" as reply.

What I usually use now (umm, what's on the system now, "mail"
but really aliases to mailx I think) uses "r" as Reply-All and
"R" (capital-R) as "reply" (umm, "single"). Dunno whether
to call that an oddity or Just A Feature but it did make a
coupla trip-ups back during changeover times... So I guess
Good Thing to check on email clients' workings b/c they have
a way of channging sometimes...   -k

> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 09:27:07 -0400
> To: "Atlanta User Group (E-mail)" <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: [ale] Protocols
> From: Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org>
> Cc: Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com>
>
> In light of the recent email snafu I would like to remind everyone of
> a few essential behaviors:
>
> Reply-all is bad.
>
> When it looks like things are going sideways on a mail service, sending
> an email to everyone on that service really, really doesn't help.
>
> Really, really, really doesn't help.
>
> Autorespond is really, really a bad thing.
>
> Really, really, really a bad thing.