[ale] Robust Linux System for Remote Customer Service

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 08:26:51 EDT 2021

On April 17, 2021 11:06:58 PM EDT, Michael Potter via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>I have a particular problem that I am trying to solve for an
>insurance agency.
>
>The agency wants unmanned remote offices where clients can go into a
>remote
>office and do things like do a zoom like session with a customer
>service
>rep, pick a printout off of a printer, or "scan" some document that
>they
>need to deliver.
>
>The office would likely be in some shared space where a receptionist
>would
>show the client to the computer.
>
>This would be used by people that just aren't good using a smart phone
>or
>would need to pick up actual paper.
>
>I want to use Linux so we have more flexibility on remote management.
>
>These do not need to be completely hardened as they will be in an
>office
>that gets locked after normal business hours.
>
>I am calling this "on topic" as I am going to use Linux.
>
>Here are my questions:
>1. Has anyone seen anything like this in Atlanta that I could go look
>at?
>
>2. Any video conference sw that runs on Linux that would work on a VPN
>without involving a third party like zoom?

Jitsi

>3. Any recommendations on a robust printer?  I am thinking of having
>two
>per computer so we can switch to the working one.

Brother multifunction laser printer

>4. Any recommendations for scanners?  I am thinking a downfacing camera
>so
>we don't have to deal with paper jams.  the person can just lay the
>item on
>the table face up.

I think a downfacing camera would be harder to use than a adding a few taped on notes about how to use the scanner, copier, printer, fax machine. Add a tablet with jitsi client for remote support.

--
Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool