[ale] Suggestion for a Good Linux/Desktop

Colonel Wolf Halton CBA wolf.halton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 12:50:16 EDT 2020

I have a System76 desktop machine with PopOS running Gnome desktop. In my
last Kali book, I wrote a chapter about all the different desktop-installs
available for Kali, so I got to delve into 12 desktops.

PopOS has been painless. No freezes. No muss. No fuss. I also have Ubuntu
with it's stockinstall desktop for an Nfina NUC studio machine (very quiet
and small) where I do much of my video work, and Ubuntu LTS 2020.04 with
Gnome running on an Nfina tower server that I occasionally log into
directly. The server sounds like a helicopter with all its fans, so I keep
thinking about creating a space for it in a different house. Haven't quite
developed the cashflow to rent a whole new house for one lonely test
server.  In the last 15 years, I wrote 3 books including a bunch of
VM-testing on XFCE Desktop, which is a very light resource-load.
My suspicion is that the OP's machine has a RAM or GPU shortage. If your
warranty has been expired on the hardware for more than a couple years, the
OS and software are likely beyond your hardware's capability.