[ale] isp questions

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Jun 16 10:49:44 EDT 2020

I am _really_ uncertain I should jump in here - but...

[Opinion] Why is 'normal connectivity' so complex? IMHO-Marketing.
Stirring the water with lots of distracting options, conditions, etc.
Normal Connectivity is nothing but a big enough bandwidth for bits in two
directions at a sufficient level of reliability. I don't think we should
need (normally) to worry about the underlying tech. Video, audio, radio,
etc are not part of this basic service - just shuffling bits around. If I
want video (aka TV), that should be a different negotiation. If I want
audio (radio, phone) that is another negotiation.

[Opinion] When the bits get to the point of separation from the carrier's
equipment, it should no longer matter to the carrier if I am formally
renting their equipment or purchase my own.

[Opinion] Customer service matters. The service center's location is not
important to me, nor the nationality. I do want the service tech to belong
to the same outfit as I am purchasing the service from as the CEO - and
have the authority/support to FIX the damn problem. The executive suite
should lose all compensation if the company's product/service isn't up to
par.

As for being cheap - I've been working adjunct academics the last decade -
which in this state works out to about $10/hr effective for advanced
degree. And I'm better off than the students - many of whom _must_ work on
phones with smashed screens, skip meals, face reposession of their
transportation, etc as they attempt to better their lives while working
potentially 40 hr jobs while in school. (And the adjunct jobs have now
dried up due to the loss of foreign students - who were often better
prepared...)

Thank you to the whole group for the use of their bandwidth. I'm now off
to attempt to help family deal with children shared with a (thankfully
former) cheating spouse. Probably more information than the list wants; so
sorry but I need to vent