[ale] UEFI vs BIOS understanding

David Jackson deepbsd.ale at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 12:23:06 EST 2020

Hey Everyone,

I just want to make sure I'm on the right page with my understanding.

In my Arch install script, I first check for the existence of
/sys/firmware/efi/efivars.  If that does not exist, I assume I do not have
a fully compliant EFI bios and I proceed to format the disk with an MBR
partition table.  If I do have that efivars directory, then I assume my
bios is close enough and I proceed to partition the disk as a GPT disk.

So far, I have not run across a problem with this logic, but what do you
guys think?

TIA