[ale] Slightly OT: Looking for recommendation for 24 port POE Switch preferably Cisco

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 08:29:56 EST 2020

> On Dec 19, 2020, at 10:52 AM, Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>
> Please don't take offense but I find a church needing a technology upgrade ironic.

Not offended, but let me be informative here.

Our church had 32 channels of digital content pushing across ethernet to attached storage which then processed and transcoded to disk for pushing out online. There’s no small amount of video overlay there. Add to that 24 lines of SIP, door badge data in and out, card ingress/egress data, lighting control data, all the interoffice storage and then cloud storage plus all the Google stuff…. It gets crazy.

 Guest networks, main networks, segmented staff networks, the projection systems, the lighting systems, the recording systems… networks for nursery/children’s ministry printers, redundant links to Comcast & AT&T, Linux-based Content filtering firewalls on every egress point, wireless recording devices in every room where adults and children are behind a closed door at any time…. Last numbers I tried to tabulate ended up suggesting there was something along the lines of 20-40G pushed around during 9AM and 11:30AM any given Sunday morning.

You have to realize that everyone is trying to use Ethernet to push data around.  All those flashy rock-concert-y style churches on the TV, all the more.  The current setup at our place is a Nexus campus core with some Mirakis and some legacy AIRs spread all over the facility….

This is no longer a couple dozen codgers in a brick building with cement floors, specious lighting and a ton of candles.

—j