[ale] Good Linux Laptop from Lenovo?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Dec 7 10:19:13 EST 2020

HI,

On Mon, December 7, 2020 10:06 am, Solomon Peachy wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 09:42:31AM -0500, Derek Atkins via Ale wrote:
>> What WiFi card is in there?  And is it compatible with a T470p?
>
> My T495s has an "Wireless-AC 9260" card in it, in a M.2 2230 form
> factor.  (The current AX200 cards are the same btw)
>
> And unless the T470p has an explicit module whitelist, it should work.
> (looks like your shipped with an Wireless-AC 8265 in it)

Yes, I have an 8265.  No clue what form-factor it uses.

> I can't help but think though that it's not the fault of the actual wifi
> card; the intel wireless stuff as a whole is probably the
> best-supported/tested under Linux.

The card has been working just fine for years.  The ONLY change is that I
upgraded from F29 to F33.  So it is absolutely, 99.99999% likely to be a
software/firmware issue.

> If you boot off a Fedora LiveUSB stick, does the onboard wifi still
> misbehave?  Similarly, if you have a random wifi dongle lying around,
> I'd recommend testing that to see if the problem is the intel
> adapter/drivers or "wifi" in general.  Finally, I'd make sure you have
> the latest BIOS update installed, and double-check the settings to make
> sure there isn't some sort of advanced/aggressive powersave feature
> that's helpfully disabling things when teh screen is blanked..

I have not tried; This is my "production" (work) laptop.

You're right that I should look at the powersave.  The correlation with
screen blank is an interesting clue.  I'm honestly not at all sure where
to look for that, or even what to look for.   I do know that even though I
have the screensaver settings set to blank and lock the screen when the
cover closes, that does not happen when I have an exterior monitor plugged
in.  So I'm honestly not sure *which* screenblank source is firing.

Even more interesting is that, for a while, there was a 1 to 2-hour (to
the minute) frequency of the outages.  At least according to IRC
reconnects.

*sigh*

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745