[ale] Good Linux Laptop from Lenovo?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Dec 7 23:28:25 EST 2020

On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 10:19:13AM -0500, Derek Atkins via Ale wrote:
> > And unless the T470p has an explicit module whitelist, it should work.
> > (looks like your shipped with an Wireless-AC 8265 in it)
>
> Yes, I have an 8265.  No clue what form-factor it uses.

As per Intel's specifications, it's an m.2 2230 module.  the 9260 or
even AX200 will be a drop-in replacement, physically/electrically, at
least.

> The card has been working just fine for years.  The ONLY change is that I
> upgraded from F29 to F33.  So it is absolutely, 99.99999% likely to be a
> software/firmware issue.

That jump encompasses two years worth of kernel, loadable firmware, and
OS/integration changes, and unless you went F29->F31->F33, it's also not a
supported (or tested) upgrade path.

> I have not tried; This is my "production" (work) laptop.

At minimum, you should try a liveusb F33 stick, to see if the issue is
there in a pristine system.  No risk there other than needing to
scrounge up a spare stick and 20 minutes of your time.

The T470p is supported by fwupd/lvfs, so updating to the latest system
firmware should be trivially easy. (fwupdmgr refresh && fwupdmgr update)

(Speaking of firmware updates, a couple of the HP servers we're using at
 $dayjob didn't work with a DP->VGA adapter.  Turns out it was a UEFI
 bug, now everything works)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)