[ale] Good Linux Laptop from Lenovo?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Dec 7 09:42:31 EST 2020

Hi,

On Mon, December 7, 2020 9:28 am, Solomon Peachy wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 08:48:30AM -0500, Derek Atkins via Ale wrote:
>> I am running a T470p that I bought 3 1/2 years ago.  Been running Linux
>> on
>> it sice the start.  Only issue is that I just upgraded from F29 to F33
>> and
>> now my WiFi is disconnecting frequently when the host goes into
>> screen-save mode.  Of course, the WiFi (Intel 8265) was EOLed so current
>> drivers don't really support it.  :(
>
> You can always swap out the wifi card; Intel's latest-gen .ax stuff can
> be had on amazon for under $20.

the T470p is one of those "you need to completely open up the thing to
access ANYTHING" machines.  There's not a bay to access the HDD or Memory
like there were on my previous devices.  According to
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd104718-removal-and-installing-steps-of-the-wireless-lan-card-thinkpad-t470p
it looks like I have to do approximately the same amount of work to
replace the wifi card.  Of course, I would need to ensure the new card is
physically compatible.

Frankly, it WAS stable on F29. I was running F29 for a couple years
without incident, but decided it was time to update (for a multitude of
reasons).  I'm very surprised to see this backwards step after the update
to F33.  I reported it to Red Hat, but I suspect it'll just be ignored.
The fact that I didn't stop in the intermediary points means it'll be hard
to determine when it started failing.

Strangely, the issue only appears to happen when the screen is blanked; if
I am actively working on the machine I haven't seen this behavior.

> (FWIW, I'm currently running Fedora on a Thinkpad T495.  Solid,
>  performant, and reliable)

What WiFi card is in there?  And is it compatible with a T470p?

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745