[ale] Good Linux Laptop from Lenovo?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Dec 7 08:48:30 EST 2020

I am running a T470p that I bought 3 1/2 years ago.  Been running Linux on
it sice the start.  Only issue is that I just upgraded from F29 to F33 and
now my WiFi is disconnecting frequently when the host goes into
screen-save mode.  Of course, the WiFi (Intel 8265) was EOLed so current
drivers don't really support it.  :(

-derek

On Mon, December 7, 2020 8:25 am, Ed Cashin via Ale wrote:
> Lately I have had good luck buying used Lenovos on eBay with Linux
> pre-installed.  You don't have to use the OS they come with, but it
> provides some assurance that the hardware has Linux compatibility.  Some
> of
> the vendors are flexible and will accommodate special tweaks to the
> advertised configurations if you have special requirements.
>
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 12:45 PM Bob Toxen via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for advice on purchasing a new Laptop to install and run
>> Linux, almost certainly CentOS but maybe Slackware.  I'l occasionally
>> do some C programming.  This would be for when I travel so it should
>> have a Linux-usable WiFi module.
>>
>> My main use is browsing, text email, and watching DVDs.  (I realize that
>> I'll have to buy an external USB DVD burner.)
>>

>> I've always had good luck with Lenovo laptops and have a strong
>> preference
>> for them.  I have a preference for NVIDIA as more compatible graphics
>> and
>> might some day try to install the Silicon Graphics graphics software.
>> I'll add an external trackball.  (My genuine IBM 2001 laptop still
>> runs too.)
>>

>> I'm leaning towards mail ordering the following from Microcenter as I'm
>> now living in the Provinces here in Fort Lauderdale:
>>
>>   Lenovo IdeaPad 3 17IML 17.3" Laptop Computer - Grey Intel Core
>> i5-10210U
>> Processor 1.6GHz;
>>   NVIDIA GeForce MX330 2GB GDDR5; 8GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 512GB Solid State
>> Drive
>>   $699
>>
>> I'm not thrilled with the small amount of RAM; perhaps I should research
>> large RAM sticks.
>>

>> I welcome any advice.  Any advice on how hard to break it's stupid
>> security to boot from a CentOS install DVD is welcome; of course I can
>> figure it out and have.
>>
>> I have no interest in HP or Dell having had poor experiences with them.
>>
>> All help welcome with thanks!
>>
>> Bob Toxen
>> bob at verysecurelinux.com               [Please use for email to me]
>> http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux security
>> consulting]
>> http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux
>> Security
>> 2/e"]
>>
>> "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
>> them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond where
>> the shadows lie...and the Eye is everwatching"
>> -- The Silicon Valley Tarot Henrique Holschuh with ... BobT's
>> enhancement

>   Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745