[ale] ***UNCHECKED*** Computer build requirements list

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Aug 26 21:45:17 EDT 2020

What parts do you already have that can be reused?

Forget multiple CPUs. It is all about cores these
days.  Getting 6 cores is between $80 and $150. If you wait until
after the next Ryzen gets out, the Ryzen 2600 65W with 12 threads
will be the sub-$100 deal to get based on history. The 2700+ Ryzens
use more power. More power = more heat. More heat = more fans. More
fans = more noise.

Use A quality SSD - probably Samsung for the internal SSD. Zero noise.
512GB is the sweet spot for pricing.

I wouldn't buy a new case if you already have one. Same for mouse,
keyboard, monitor, speakers, RAM, PSU.  If it is working, don't fix it.

Webcam - for casual use, the Logitech C270 is THE DEAL. Plug-in-play
for Linux. If you must have 1080p (why?), the C92X is 3x more. Also
plug-in-play.

Built-in audio has always been fine since around 2000.
Watching videos means you need a GPU of some sort. Go fanless to avoid
noise. All recent GPUs support decoding mpeg2, h.264 video in HW.
$30-$100.  I'd probably go cheap AMD to avoid nvidia drama with drivers.
I have nvidia, btw and there is drama with every kernel update still.

8G is fine to start, but 16 for containers will provide some room. RAM
is cheap again. Ryzen likes 3200Mhz or faster.

Watch out for newer Ryzen MBs. Some come with Intel 2.5Gbps NICs which
have been causing issues for people. I prefer Intel NICs to the other
options, but I'd get an i211 GigE, if possible. The i219-V is the problem
NIC for now, at least with Debian/Ubuntu. I don't know about other distros.

When comparing CPUs, look at total passmarks over GHz or cores. You want
more cores for the described workload.

Heck, any used computer with over 3000 passmarks can do what you've
described.  Look at the Ryzen product line, the cores, and a table of
MB capabilities for each B350, B450, B550, X370, X470 and X570 line. The
B450 probably meets all your needs, but the B550 has Gen4 PCIe which may
be useful for upgrades. I have an Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING, which
has the Intel i211 NIC, plenty of USB 2, 3, 3.1 ports in the back and
headers for a front-panel, if desired.

I added a $25-ish front-panel addon to put some SD slots, USB2/3/3.1,
eSATA and audio in the front. Most of the connectors had to be unplugged
so every freakin' device didn't need to timeout before the boot would
continue. Those 155-in-one SD slot things suck for that. All the USB2
stuff was disconnected. Probably could disable boot from all USB2 in
the BIOS.

That's more than I know. ;)