[ale] Computer build requirements list

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 07:19:58 EDT 2020

> On Aug 26, 2020, at 7:48 PM, Leam Hall via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

>  My plan is to do Coursera courses on
> C and OS stuff, and run containers locally in Dev mode before putting
> them up on AWS. Though the container mission might get put onto
> another machine. I'd like this one to be lower impact.

DockerHub?

> CPU/Cores/RAM: It would be nice to have multiple CPUs and multiple
> cores per CPU, mostly in case I head to that sort of programming. With
> 2 CPUs and 4 cores, the old machine had 8GB or RAM and was fast
> enough. Since I do TDD, being able to run tests quickly is nice.
> Prefer AMD to Intel.

Honestly, man… Digital Ocean’s $5/mo droplet looks like your choice for a dev workstation.  Pre-pay the whole year and have it out of your hair.

Second, add Udemy and Linux Academy if you can afford it.  I just passed CSA Assoc and Practitioner in the last 3 weeks.  I prepared for Practitioner for a week and tested then assoc. for like 2 weeks and sat for the test.

Test scores running mid-80%.  Linux Academy for the training lectures and example quizzes. Udemy for test batteries (usually a grouping of 5) and the company has LI learning if I want a different kind of lecture in case I wasn’t “getting” what was being said.

> Economy: Not sure what the cost level will be. Recommendations on
> "best bang for buck" appreciated.

With the above in place, you can truly have a “commodity” machine at home like a Chromebook or small-ish off-the-shelf computer from Wal-Mart even.

—j