[ale] upgrading desktop

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Aug 14 02:56:02 EDT 2020

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 16:00:44 -0400
David Jackson via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Oh, forgot one thing about quiet PCs!
>
> A lot of noise can come from old fans whose bearings are wearing out.
>  Or even if there's something wrong with the fan.  If you take the
> cover off while the fans are running, a lot of times you can see or
> hear which fan/fans is/are making too much noise.  Even my old ears
> can notice a fan getting old and starting to make a lot of noise
> before it completely dies.

Yes, I forgot to add that in my list, but that can be a huge source of
noise. Also, make sure the fans are mounted with rubber washers to
sonically isolate them from the case. And make sure all things attached
to the case are screwed down tight. And any holes not exposing a fan or
drive should be taped shut to limit noise transfer and keep airflow
going the way you want them. Your blowing-in and blowing-out fans
should pretty much match each other.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive