[ale] upgrading desktop

Jeffrey Layton laytonjb at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 07:55:41 EDT 2020

I love this thread. Lots of people with great ideas and recommendations. I
have some of the links bookmarked for when I get time to review :)

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 7:50 PM David Jackson via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Hey Bob,

> suggested by several along with the ryzen 5 3600 on a B450 motherboard.
> (I'm not interested in gaming.)  Is the cheap graphics card still a
> reasonable choice if I have to record video?
> <<<
>

> As far as the GPU choice, I would put the rx5700 as a very entry-level
> GPU.  If you can spring for a beefier GPU, you'll notice a big
> improvement.  Again, you video producers correct me where I'm wrong.  AMD
> GPUs target the entry level up to the mid-range levels of GPU.  For super
> heavy duty, it's all Nvidia.  But super-heavy is around the $600 and up
> range.

In full disclosure, I work for NVIDIA(not the commercial side - the data
center side). I think AMD makes GPUs that are just great and I won't
disparage them at all. But I like ours better and I did before I joined the
company. :) On the NVIDIA side there are GeForce GPUs for a wide range of
prices. A quick look at Newegg shows a new NVIDIA GPU starting at about $45
(GT710). This is a passively cooled card. My personal favorite passively
cooled card is the GT1030 with 2GB of memory. There is one that costs $90
that I particularly like.

As you go up in price and performance then fans are added to the cards. I
see some cards with 4GB of video memory under $200. For 6GB of video memory
then it looks like you need to cross the $200 threshold (about $210).

What I personally do is find a price point that I'm comfortable with and
look for NVIDIA GPUs that reach that price point. I also look at cards that
are a little above that price point and a little below that. I target three
cards that I like (the Three Bears so to speak). I then look around for
performance tests of those cards. I'm not a gamer so I ignore the game
results but I do look at the computational tests as well as video
encoding/decoding tests.

I wait a couple of weeks if I can, and then see which of the three cards my
"gut" says to go with. In general, I pick the one at my price point
although for a couple of projects I chose the one that costs a little more.
While my children were in school I tended to pick that one at my price
point, but after they finished, I picked the ones that cost just a little
more.

When you pick a video card, be sure that your case has room for it -
particularly if the card is long or takes up two slots (this is true for
NVIDIA or AMD). This has bitten me in the past.

As others say, I hope this helps.

Jeff