[ale] Slightly OT: best Atlanta location for low latency JackTrip Server?

Robert Story rs at ale.spam.futz.org
Tue Aug 4 13:20:14 EDT 2020

On Mon 2020-08-03 16:57:52-0500 Neal wrote:
> So, looking for ways of doing low latency music among  musicians in
> the Atlanta area.

I'd be interested in how this turns out. Would all the musicians have
to use Linux? Or is jack available for Windows/Mac?

> When I check speedtest.net, I see multiple speedtest servers in
> Atlanta which support a ping time of about 21ms.   [...]
>
> BUT, if I wanted to get space on a linux system to run this jacktrip
> server software, where might I go that would have such low latency?

I have a vm with ram node at their 56marietta location, and I get
15-20ms response times from home (Comcast residential). I think they
have hourly rates, so if you shut it down when not in use it might be a
little cheaper. But I have no idea how much cpu/memory you'd need for
jack, so I don't know which plan might be best for you.

The test IP they list on their site seems to be down, but you can try
pinging the last hop before my vm, which is

 9  ramnode-gw.ip4.gtt.net (173.205.55.98)  17.220 ms  16.318 ms
 15.053 ms

Their web site is <https://www.ramnode.com/>.

Regards,
Robert