[ale] Slightly OT: best Atlanta location for low latency JackTrip Server?

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Mon Aug 3 17:57:52 EDT 2020

So, looking for ways of doing low latency music among  musicians in the
Atlanta area.

Like 30ms or less from my mic to your speakers, and vice-versa.

 From what I read, the most promising cross-platform approach is
jacktrip.org, originally from Stanford.

Again, from what I read, you essentially stake a goat out at the DMZ
somewhere, which opens port 6466, and then musicians in their own homes
open sessions to it, and it forwards uncompressed audio amongst all
other users on that session.   So the funky security issues are only on
the jack server.

When I check speedtest.net, I see multiple speedtest servers in Atlanta
which support a ping time of about 21ms.   So, if I can send and get a
response in 21ms, that seems to say that I can send a packet of audio,
and get it to someone across town in 21ms.  If hardware at both ends add
5ms, then we're at 31ms.  The magic point in most music where it's close
enough for jazz.

BUT, if I wanted to get space on a linux system to run this jacktrip
server software, where might I go that would have such low latency?

BTW, this would be for various non-profits, so cheap be real good.

regards,

Neal