[ale] Can anyone verify Linux with Ryzen 3X00?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Aug 3 20:23:09 EDT 2020

For people not in a hurry, read that the Zen3 Ryzens will be out by end of the year, which will mean price drops for the 2xxx and 3xxx lines.  The cheap 1600 AF stock is all gone now.  Just waiting for the 2600 to drop to $80 on clearance now. ;)

The main things I'm seeing on HW forums are problems with Intel 2.5Gbps NICs they are putting on newer Ryzen MBs. Two people that I know have given up and just spent $25 to install an older Intel PRO/1000 NIC that "just works". This was after screwing around with drivers and promised fixes from Intel for a few weeks.  Intel claims they fixed the Linux problem in March, of course.

In theory, to install proprietary drivers on any Ubuntu Release,
    $ sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
should handle it. It worked for supported nVidia drivers here.

The i225v NIC is an issue. Of course, a few people have gotten it working, so there seems to be _some hope_. The people who couldn't follow those same instructions and get it working were all relatively new, so who knows if being a noob was the problem or just making assumptions from other OSes?  I'm an Intel-only NIC person. Been burned by others too many times. The $20 to avoid hassles - ever - is worth it to me.

I know nothing about non-Ubuntu releases.

When Ryzens were new, there were definitely RAM compatibility issues and a high load issue that went on for months. Those really haven't happened again that I recall, not in any major way. Any issues with REALLY new MBs are usually corrected within a few months. I've been running off-list RAM overclocked on the MB, but standard speeds for the RAM for about 20 months.  XMP worked for that.  The Asus automatic OC wizard claims to have bumped up the total performance 6% - no stability issues after I ran that and had the RAM setup correctly. Generally, I don't OC at all.  I'm using the stock CPU cooler. My disk arrays make more noise.

There were issues with the iGPUs on Ryzens too, but the fix for that was newer kernels. Since 20.04 is out and all the distros based on it are too, that isn't an issue anymore - beyond the normal "bleeding edge" stuff.  If you get a MB and CPU that's over 6 months old, should be fine.