[ale] IBM is buying Redhat!

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 08:26:08 EDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 8:07 AM Simba via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> That is fair.
>
> What I suppose I meant is that Debian's package policies are more mature
> and support long term stability in systems better than the other
> distributions. Also, recovering from packaging related issues is
> tremendously simple with apt.

Not really. RPM based systems recover well, have done so for years. Debian
has very little third party vendor support, and that's what sells. Most
companies don't by RHEL/SLES/HP-UX/Solaris, they by a platform for
"Application X" and that platform must have backup compatibility with
Enterprise Backup Application "A" and monitoring support for Enterprise
Tool "B". That's why RHEL, and to a lesser degree in the US, SLES, win big
contracts.

Philosophy doesn't matter; functionality does.