[ale] OT New Apple Hardware with T2 chips

jonnyX jonnyx at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 5 16:25:09 EST 2018

On Nov 5, 2018 2:12 PM, DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Ok, perhaps "buyer beware" would have been a better statement.
>
> Seems this thread has vaccinated our community, assuming they read it
> and aren't anti-vaxxers. That was the intent.

Mission accomplished, no argument there.

My worry is that long-term we're going to see Linux, FreeBSD, etc., pushed off consumer hardware and essentially taken over by the dotcoms, and any f/oss applications that compete with their commercial offerings bought out & then marginalized/defunded/ended; MySQL under Oracle, anyone? Linksys+DD-WRT under Cisco?

What's the strategy to counter this if MS and Apple keep slowly pushing hardware vendors to prevent free operating systems from booting? Keep in mind that desktop computers (and motherboards) are a shrinking slice of the consumer marketplace, which has been trending towards smartphones, tablets, and netbooks for years.

~~Dru/jX

PS - I want cheap/easy/reliable 3d-printable open hardware from cheap/easy/reliable DIY 3d-printers. I also want a robot butler, rayguns, and weekend vacations on the moon via 100% reusable SSTO fusion-powered spaceships (a la "2001: A Space Odyssey"). We are not in the sci-fi future I was promised as a kid, and I am pissed!