[ale] UBuntu 17.10 EOL today

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Jul 19 13:09:33 EDT 2018

I have not migrated any systems to 18.04 nor brought up any 18.04
machines for production use.

If I absolutely had to install a fresh Ubuntu server today, it would 16.04.

But different people have different requirements from a release.

I am looking forward to 18.04.1, which should be released in a few
weeks. I'll bring up a few test servers.

Last week, I played with Lubuntu.  Installed a full, new, install and
alternate minimal Lubuntu .iso to compare the installation packages and
time-to-install.

My findings are for LVM and "minimal install" options into a VM on an
empty, non-busy, Core i7 VM host.

* alternate ISO install for a minimal install took 46 minutes. This is
the old text installer.
* New GUI installer, took 7:55 (under 8 minutes). This is the fresh,
new, installer debuted with 18.04.
* The total installed packages installed as shown by apt-mark for both
installs was very close, within 5.
* The total storage used by each install was within 100MB.
* No difference in performance, post-install was noticed.
* There is a Qt GUI option from the DE-change menu pre-login.  Selecting
it isn't ready.  In the fall Lubuntu, they are moving from GTK to Qt
libraries.  I think it was a mistake to include that menu option in 18.04.

18.04.1 installer is supposed to have support for non-default
installations with RAID, LVM, bonded networks, etc. I am hopeful.