[ale] UBuntu 17.10 EOL today

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 13:54:31 EDT 2018

On Thu, 2018-07-19 at 13:09 -0400, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
> <snip>18.04.1 installer is supposed to have support for non-
> defaultinstallations with RAID, LVM, bonded networks, etc. I am
> hopeful.
> <snip>

Not to poke too hard :-) but the CentOS installer has supported RAID,
LVM, bonded networks in both gui (except bonded which is only since
RHEL6) since RHEL4 - 15 years ago. The gui installer from CentOS 6 was
rather outstanding. The new 7 version is "cleaner" and hides the fancy,
large enterprise stuff from the basic install process. It's there, but
not really obvious. Automatic installs with scripted kickstart will do
literally anything. The text install was minimal in CentOS6 and is
basically crap in 7. Only useful for a default, minimal installation.

The minimal install for 7.5 is around 3GB (maybe. Don't really look
since the minimum VM is 100G) and doesn't include vim but does include
vi. It would be not trivial to shrink that install down to 100MB.
There's so many tools I use I have a post install package of around 20-
30 additional packages to get things to the "this is how I like it"
level. A basic, full X GUI is around 30GB (gnome interface). I set up a
test VM with a gui with only 2GB RAM and it's mostly usable. Even

--
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain