[ale] Gearing up for the future (wuz: boot speed, systemd, vi vs emacs, etc)

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 12:26:05 EST 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 11:53 AM, Lightner, Jeffrey via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
> We are doing containers on our own systems (i.e. not cloud) using CoreOS.   CoreOS (the base OS) relies on systemd.   I don't know that going to the cloud for containers will eliminate the need to interact with systemd.

Yeah, I asked on #CoreOS and they said it required systemd. Since RH
bought CoreOS I'm not sure how Docker will fare. Maybe they will win
the container wars, maybe not. I can see systemd or something like it
being useful for a container host OS. At that point it becomes a
question of "where in the stack I want to work" since I don't have
enough brain cells for the entire stack.

Any insights on what container platform will get the majority of
paying market share?

Leam