[ale] Gearing up for the future (wuz: boot speed, systemd, vi vs emacs, etc)

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Mon Feb 19 11:53:27 EST 2018

We are doing containers on our own systems (i.e. not cloud) using CoreOS.   CoreOS (the base OS) relies on systemd.   I don't know that going to the cloud for containers will eliminate the need to interact with systemd.

I started working with DOS 2.0 and Lotus 123v1A in the early 80s.    Later I had to move on to Novell file servers and later yet to AT&T UNIX then various other UNIX flavors and finally to Linux.

I use MS Windows workstations because that is invariably what my employer assigns no matter how much they   use open systems for servers.   Heck these days I even help my neighbor with her MacBook though I despise Apple's proprietary mindset.

Moving on is something I've done many times in my career and personal life.  I'll likely continue to have to do.    With every new thing comes the folks that equate it with Satanism and/or communism but all the gnashing of teeth has never halted any of these new things.   In the meantime things generally lauded by one and all (e.g. NeXT) seem to have gone by the way side.

Come to the dark side Luke.   You know I am your farther...