[ale] Gearing up for the future (wuz: boot speed, systemd, vi vs emacs, etc)

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Mon Feb 19 12:34:04 EST 2018

As far as I know, Docker is just a container management framework.
All of my commercial servers use SUSE, so I don't see moving away from Docker here.
I've never used Red Hat as a primary linux. The closest is some CentOS appliances, which don't require a lot of in-depth OS management.
Looking from outside in, Red Hat seems to be moving more and more towards having their owned tools for things.
Not something that looks comfortable from an outsider perspective.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 11:53 AM, Lightner, Jeffrey via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
> We are doing containers on our own systems (i.e. not cloud) using CoreOS.   CoreOS (the base OS) relies on systemd.   I don't know that going to the cloud for containers will eliminate the need to interact with systemd.

Yeah, I asked on #CoreOS and they said it required systemd. Since RH
bought CoreOS I'm not sure how Docker will fare. Maybe they will win
the container wars, maybe not. I can see systemd or something like it
being useful for a container host OS. At that point it becomes a
question of "where in the stack I want to work" since I don't have
enough brain cells for the entire stack.

Any insights on what container platform will get the majority of
paying market share?

Leam