[ale] [Possibly OT] Androd <--> OSX

Ken Cochran kwc at shell.TheWorld.com
Mon Jul 14 10:08:01 EDT 2014

Sorry for the OT-ness

How do/can I get Stuff on/off my Android smartphone (HTC One S,
Android 4.1.1) from a Mac *without* relying on "the cloud?"
All the options I see for file exchange rely on the likes of
email or Dropbox or Google Drive or Other Stupid Stuff That
Counts Against My Data Plan or "Goes Public."  (Assuming I
even HAVE signal & there's nothing past 2G in my locality.)

I want to connect it directly.  (cable? wifi?)

Only "wired" I've seen/tried is Android File Transfer & it
Sucks Real Bad (NO shortcut keys, only works by drag/drop)
and it likes to install itself as a daemon.

Windows sees it as a camara - that's not how I want to access it.

I have AirDroid but no info on how to use it.  (Any better alternatives?)

And how do I get stuff outta the phone that isn't on its
internal sdcard?  For examples, T-Mobile's (my carrier)
"Visual Voicemail" and SMS messages.

I'd like to be able to backup/transfer it all to a new
smartphone later on.  Looking more & more like that'll be an
iPhone when that time comes.  Me no likey MTP.

Naturally, as customary, FAQ/doc & FMs to RT are most welcome :)

Thanks, -kc

Ken Cochran
Alexander City, Alabama