[ale] [OT] Cars and licensing... (Was: Re: Well, this does nothing for the reputation of Linux)

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Mon Jul 22 15:23:46 EDT 2013

On 07/22/2013 01:33 PM, Sparr wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Michael B. Trausch
> <mbt at naunetcorp.com <mailto:mbt at naunetcorp.com>> wrote:
>
>     A person should know ... when a malfunctioning traffic light is a
>     four-way stop vs. a two-way-stop-with-two-way-caution
>

> I'm reading this from the point of view of a person approaching a
> flashing red light. How am I to know whether cross traffic has
> flashing red or flashing yellow?

I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

There are two allowed "default" configurations for traffic control
lights that I am aware of: 2-way and all-way stop.

A two-way stop light in failure mode flashes yellow in one direction,
red in the other.  An all-way stop light in failure mode flashes red in
all directions.

Those approaching the flashing red must stop, and go only when clear, as
per the legal definition.  If there are no cars approaching the
intersection, or there are other cars at the intersection and they are
following all-way-stop rules, then it is clear.  If a car is approaching
the intersection, you are to hold until the approaching car has either
stopped or it is again clear.

Complex intersections are almost always all-way stops (3 or more
streets, or two streets that are each major streets).  Otherwise,
generally, the major street gets the flashing yellow and the capillary
gets the flashing red.

As a prime example: all the lights on Covington Highway from I-285 to
Lithonia Industrial road have a fallback mode that features yellow to CH
and red to the crossing streets, except one or two places where it has
to be an all-way stop lest all hell break loose.  (Sad, that they've
failed enough that I know this.  I came down one night and all the
lights were in failure-mode.)

Most people here stop for the yellows.  I've never seen that happen
anywhere else to date, and for the majority of my life I've lived
elsewhere... :-)

    --- Mike

--
Naunet Corporation Logo 	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (888) 494-5810 x130