[ale] Linode

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Wed Nov 7 20:21:50 EST 2012

I'm not aware of any VPS providers that have multiple peering providers per
data center.  (At least, not any in Linode's price range.)  I'm happy to be
proven wrong.

I've hosted my personal blog on Linode since April 2009, and have been very
happy with them.  In January 2011, I started monitoring my Linode using
pingdom.com because I was having issues (with Apache, I don't believe it
was a Linode issue).  I have cumulatively 99.89% uptime, and 99.96% uptime
YTD for 2012.

3 nines for my personal blog for $20/mo?  I'll take that any day.

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Erik Mathis <erik at mathists.com> wrote:

> If you are using Linode or thinking about using them. Please beware of the
> below. They apparently have no interest in fixing this. You can judge
> "rare" for you self using http://status.linode.com
>
> -Erik-
>

> Hello,
>
> In each of our datacenters, we only peer with the datacenter provider's
> network and rely on their peering with other network service providers.
> Because of this, we are unable to directly route traffic around issues
> ourselves and must rely on our datacenter providers to do so.
>
> As soon as we noticed today's issue, we contacted our Atlanta datacenter
> provider and they notified us that they were already working on resolving
> the problem with the bad peer. Establishing that line of communication is
> always our top priority so that we can communicate this to our customers
> via our status blog and any opened support tickets.
>
> I do understand that you are frustrated and I greatly apologize for the
> downtime you experienced. This type of partial outage is rare and we always
> put in our hardest effort to resolve them as soon as we can.
>
> If you have any other questions or need any other assistance, please do
> not hesitate to let us know.
>
> Regards,
> Nick

David Tomaschik