[ale] flip flopping on programming, now interested in c++

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 19:32:39 EDT 2012

On 07/02/2012 07:17 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> comments inline

Same here.

> leam hall<leamhall at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 7/2/12, Ron Frazier (ALE)<atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>
>> Hey Ron!
>>
>> Let me push back on some things and contribute to another couple.
>>
>> You need to be on IRC routinely. Lists are great but IRC is faster and
>> lets you build a reputation and community quicker. The job I'm in now
>> came from an IRC contact.
>>

> OK, can you recommend a good cross platform IRC client.  Also, How would I even find relevant IRC groups?  I know nothing about that technology.

I use X Chat though there are several. No need for it to be
cross-platform, you can use a different one for whatever computer you're
on. There are also web based ones as well. That said, Pidgin seems to
have downloads for most of the major OS versions.

Connect to a server on freenode.net, and then join #c++. Simply connect
to freenode.net and type:

	/j #c++

in the entry field. Wonderful resource, though there are a lot of idiots
out there too.

Here's the login banner for c++:

* Topic for ##c++ is: ISO/IEC 14882:2011 (a.k.a. C++11) is PUBLISHED!!
|| Can't speak? Identify to NickServ ||
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ || pastes: http://ideone.com/ ||
other channels: ##c++-basic, ##c++-general, ##c++-social, ##iso-c++ ||
we don't do homework

-ChanServ- [##c++] Visit http://www.jonatkins.org/fncpp/ and
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ || Getting Started?
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html || Pastes to
http://codepad.org || Be patient, courteous, and precise...this is C++,
we all have our segfaults. We don't do homework.
* ##c++ :http://www.jonatkins.org/fncpp/

Of course, they don't do homework.  :)

> I have a book on Linkedin.  I have an account but have never done much with it.  When I get to the stage of helping other projects, I'll probably participate on github.

Git is good if you're looking towards OS stuff. There are lots of other
things there as well.

Please don't think of your LinkedIn profile or resume as something to
"get done". I find myself revising it here and there at least monthly as
I think about more that I want to do and wordsmith what I've said. Start
now and grow it organically. Feel free to connect to me at
leam at reuel.net and I'll happily offer more advice on your profile than
you probably want...

> * Stand alone executable apps
> * Control systems
> * Maybe OS design some day
> * Maybe game design some day  (Caveat, I hate these gross games that have blood and guts everywhere, continuous gross violence, and profanity.  I wouldn't want to program these.)
> * Robotics
>
> I would be interested in Android too.

Good list! Maybe look at http://kernelnewbies.org/ for ideas on what to
do as your skills grow. Embedded systems are often in C/C++ and tight
code is a must.

> However, I'm not so much interested in web server, web client, or interpreted stuff right now.

Makes sense. At least you're better off than many who have no idea what
they want to do besides be programmers so they can make millions in
their jammies.

Leam