[ale] flip flopping on programming, now interested in c++

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Jul 2 19:17:14 EDT 2012

comments inline

leam hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 7/2/12, Ron Frazier (ALE) <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>
>Hey Ron!
>
>Let me push back on some things and contribute to another couple.
>
>You need to be on IRC routinely. Lists are great but IRC is faster and
>lets you build a reputation and community quicker. The job I'm in now
>came from an IRC contact.

OK, can you recommend a good cross platform IRC client.  Also, How would I even find relevant IRC groups?  I know nothing about that technology.

>That said, your LinkedIn profile and public code repositories are your
>real resume. Don't talk to the HR person about what you can code in.
>Same for a recruiter. They don't know. Make sure people know you can
>produce programs, not just code. Any teen-ager can code, you need to
>show why you are more valuable than a twenty something living with
>their parents.

I have a book on Linkedin.  I have an account but have never done much with it.  When I get to the stage of helping other projects, I'll probably participate on github.

>Why C++? It really doesn't matter what language you want if you want
>to be employed more than you want a particular language. What jobs do
>you really want to get and what tools/languages do those jobs use? C++
>is good for operating systems and games. Java is good for lots of
>things, Android being one. Pick your domain and want what they need.

I'll probably learn several languages eventually, and if someone wants to pay me to learn one now, I'd probably do it, whether or not it's C++.  However, to answer your question, I'm interested in:

* Stand alone executable apps
* Control systems
* Maybe OS design some day
* Maybe game design some day  (Caveat, I hate these gross games that have blood and guts everywhere, continuous gross violence, and profanity.  I wouldn't want to program these.)
* Robotics

I would be interested in Android too.

However, I'm not so much interested in web server, web client, or interpreted stuff right now.

>If you continue with C++, check out:  http://www.cprogramming.com
>They do both C and C++. As far as I know C11 and C++11 are in process.
>They are not yet active standards in that everyone is using them.
>
>Read the gm4jh.com stuff and buy their book. Great stuff! For example,
>you can start doing tutorials and with your background you may be able
>to help people out on meta-programming questions on C++. That
>advertises you and gets you noticed faster than sending a resume to
>HR.
>
>Leam

I'll check these out.

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com