[ale] Monitoring Ubuntu Servers

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri May 13 17:48:15 EDT 2011

nagios for killer basic monitoring, Zenoss if you need even more.

Other things to look at are intrusion detection systems. In the
RHEL/Fedora/CentOS world is a tool called aide (opensource replacement for
tripwire) and for all distros is a fantastic tool called samhain (pronounced
sow-when - it's Gaelic).

Basic admin stuff like check installed package validity is a great first
step. In rpm-land, running rpm -Va will test all packages and report on how
things have changed since they were installed (changed config, changed
binaries, wrong MD5 sum, changed permissions, etc). I'm clueless on how to
replicate the same functionality with debs.

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Omar Chanouha <ofosho at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
>    I have 2 ubuntu servers that I maintain at work. I would like some
> way to be able to monitor them in order to detect intruders.
> Specifically things like CPU usage, RAM usage, HD usage, currently
> logged in users, running processes and IP connections. There seems to
> be a lot of options out there, but I am wondering what the people on
> this list use/would recommend because I know many on this list are
> seasoned sys admins. Command line tools are just as welcome as GUI
> apps, as long as they get the job done.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -O

James P. Kinney III