[ale] Monitoring Ubuntu Servers

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri May 13 21:23:11 EDT 2011

On 05/13/2011 03:51 PM, Omar Chanouha wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
>     I have 2 ubuntu servers that I maintain at work. I would like some
> way to be able to monitor them in order to detect intruders.
> Specifically things like CPU usage, RAM usage, HD usage, currently
> logged in users, running processes and IP connections. There seems to
> be a lot of options out there, but I am wondering what the people on
> this list use/would recommend because I know many on this list are
> seasoned sys admins. Command line tools are just as welcome as GUI
> apps, as long as they get the job done.

For 2 boxes, it would be hard to justify the effort for Nagios.  I'd do
something really easy like SysUsage. http://sysusage.darold.net/  You
could deploy this in under 5 minutes.

Anyway, go grab a copy of the source tgz and follow along.

 tar zxvf SysUsage-Sar-3.0.tar.gz
 cd Sys*0
 sudo apt-get install sysstat rrdtool librrds-perl
 perl Makefile.PL
 make
 sudo make install
 sudo crontab -e

Drop these lines into the root crontab.

*/1 * * * * /usr/local/sysusage/bin/sysusage > /dev/null 2>&1

*/5 * * * * /usr/local/sysusage/bin/sysusagegraph > /dev/null 2>&1

I performed these steps using Cluster SSH on almost all our Ubuntu
8.04.x servers; each installation worked.