[ale] just installed LibreOffice in Linux, should have been easier

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sun Mar 13 23:36:03 EDT 2011

Hi Pablo,

Thanks for the links.  I didn't know about that at the time I first
installed LibreOffice on my first machine.  This makes it a lot easier.
I think it was Don who provided this link:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/libreoffice-gets-3-3-0-stable-version-released-ppa-installation-instructions-included.html

The procedures on there are very easy, and it automatically links into
the proper version of Ubuntu.  The PPA concept definitely makes things
much easier.

If there's anyone out there besides me who didn't know what that means,
I found this.

https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

Quote On --->

Using a Personal Package Archive (PPA), you can distribute software and
updates directly to Ubuntu users. Create your source package, upload it
and Launchpad will build binaries and then host them in your own apt
repository.

That means Ubuntu users can install your packages in just the same way
they install standard Ubuntu packages and they'll automatically receive
updates as and when you make them.

Every individual and team in Launchpad can have one or more PPAs, each
with its own URL.

Packages you publish in your PPA will remain there until you remove
them, they're superseded by another package that you upload or the
version of Ubuntu against which they're built becomes obsolete.

<--- Quote Off

So, I definitely like this methodology much better.

Sincerely,

Ron