[ale] mail server with dynamic IP?

Tim Watts tim at cliftonfarm.org
Wed Jan 19 19:21:16 EST 2011

I'm losing confidence in the mail forwarding service I use and am
thinking of dropping it. This may be just the excuse for me to set up my
own mail server at home, which is a project I've wanted to do for a long
time. But here's the thing: I don't have a static IP address. Would this
be a horribly foolish thing to embark on if I don't?

My server is up 24x7 and my IP spontaneously changes maybe once a week
or so. Sometimes it will change several times a day. I have my own
domain and monitor for IP changes every 5 minutes so I can update the
DNS.

I don't think my ISP blocks port 25.