[ale] Best way to get dual display working (take 2k)

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 17:28:34 EST 2011

On 01/05/2011 04:21 PM, Greg Clifton wrote:
> I'm not much help on the software side of this issue, but I suspect
> you may have fried your new video card--I've noticed LOTS of static in
> my neighborhood lately--when you installed it. Maybe you could try
> disabling the integrated graphics and booting a live CD while running
> off the new card to prove me wrong?
> GC
My position also, in a former life I was a hardware tech, but I had
already ruled that out. I do get video output through the HD 5770 PCIe
card on the BIOS portion of boot up. I get through the GRUB menu, that
will display with no problem. It's when I select which boot option and
it goes to boot the linux kernel is when the panic happens. It doesn't
even get to the point where it prompts for the passphrase to unlock my
LUKS devices.

I'm kind of curious as to when I had Catalyst Control Center installed
shouldn't I have seen something other than radeon on the output of
lsmod? I went by the instructions that are listed in the thread about
installing catalyst/fglrx on the Fedora Forum. In that one they use a
couple of rpms from RPMFusion. I did find a thread on using the binary
from AMD/ATI, so I might try that approach.