[ale] LUGNUTS Search for enthusiasm

jrtroberts jrtroberts at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 11:50:14 EST 2010

After some deep thought on the subject I have determined that the focus
and structure of the LUG NUTS needs to change if it is going to survive.

Currently we hold bi-weekly student meetings in the late afternoon, but
not late enough for most students to be able to attend.
This is a place for improvement.

Our activities have revolved around presentations of linux with little
group involvement.
Another place for improvement.

We have very few mechanism to draw in new members.
A much needed improvement.

And finally we have no way to show linux to the greater student population.
One of the target purposes of the group.

So in an attempt to address all of these issues at once, and some others
that I have not listed or thought of, I would like to try a new approach
to the group.
Student meetings should still be bi-weekly, but take place at about 7 or
8 and last for 1-1.5 hours.  This should give more people and
opportunity to attend.

Change the activities.
I envision two symbiotic activities for the LUG NUTS.
A.) Some type of Linux Festival to be held at the college once or twice
a term.  This should entail tables setup with linux machines installed
and ready to go.  Several different distributions of Linux each with a
different purpose targeted toward a different audience.  LUG NUTS and
maybe (hopefully) some ALE members will be manning the stations,
possibly also offering beverages and food along with free copies of
linux to passersby.  The goal beign to to show Linux running on old
machines, newer machines, and providing services that Windows or Mac can
provide, but with less effort for the end user and at a much reduced
cost.  The second goal is to offer discs to the people who stop long
enough to show some kind of genuine interest and invite them to the
install fest we will be hosting as our second activity.

B.) The install fest.  We will invite people to bring their computers,
old or new, that they don't mind putting linux on.  We will help them to
install it, not just a monkey-see monkey-do presentation, but an
interactive session where LUG NUTS and hopefully ALE members can help
people figure out what is going on and how to use their new OS.  At
sometime during this process, probably multiple times, we will plug the
LUG NUTS as a Linux Support center for these new linux users.  We will
also let them know that we hold regular meetings at the college at the
specified times, recruitment attempt (this should probably take place at
the festival as well.)  Hopefully we can get their email information and
remind them of our meetings and other Linux Festivals/Install fests and
get their help in manning them, or just to check on them and see how
they are liking their new OS.

Hopefully this will help the group grow to a large enough size that it
will not only survive, but will be able to become an active part of the
community.

I would like to get any of your ideas on how best to implement this new
strategy.  I am going to have to wait until after April 21st to try it
out as that is the annual Budget meeting for groups and clubs at the
college.  Hopefully the experience and expertise of the ALErs can help
to plan these events well enough to impress the Student council into
giving us the funds we need to pull it off and the student body into
joining the group.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Joshua