[ale] LUGNUTS Search for enthusiasm

wolf at wolfhalton.info wolf at wolfhalton.info
Wed Mar 3 11:36:47 EST 2010

This is something a lot of us have been thinking about.  I hold events
where students can see Linux working without having to opt in or take a
Linux loyalty oath.  This may not be the best solution, however there
are a couple of things I have learned in Linux evangelism and other
marketing.

1.) Find some issue some large number of people is trying to fix, and
offer Linux as a possible solution for it.
2.) If you have a solution that doesn't match a person's problems, they
will never even hear you, even if it is free.
3.) Do not educate.  If you have to educate people about the solution so
they can start to see its value.  You will never have enough buy-in to
matter.  You will always be frustrated.
4.) Like you mention, Rich, offer a complete package that totally works.
People will not stand for "some assembly required" because they are used
to the proprietary model where they are courted by retailers and
advertisers.
5,) Expect to do a lot to get a little.  The payoff for Linux
Evangelists is subtle.  One must find a way to enjoy and rejoice in a 5%
buy-in.  Most people will take a free disk and use it for a coaster, 4
or 5 times, maybe.

Here are some issues I have heard about that are not currently fixed:
     There are a lot of home-based music producers.
     There are people who are very interested in video editing
        The tools for both of these are usually proprietary and often
expensive.