[ale] FC13 install on a laptop

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 22:16:36 EDT 2010

On 07/30/2010 09:00 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I don't know why, but I keep trying to install Fedora on my laptop. The last
> time I did it , it told me it had to initialize my HD, and I stupidly said
> YES. And it did. Wiped out my XP/Ubuntu setup. I reinstalled XP , and I tried
> AGAIN, and it still wants to initialize my HD. What IS it with Fedora, can't
> it get along with ANYTHING else? Is there some magic spell, or does it always
> just blow away the entire drive so it can have IT ALL!!
> This is a Dell 100Gb HD laptop that has always been dual-boot, with lots of
> Linux distros EXCEPT Fedora..

Anaconda, Fedora's installer default is to use the whole drive. You
should be able to select custom layout for hard drive setup. It should
be the upper region of the dialogue a check box next to custom layout or
setup, something to that affect. It then goes to another dialogue
allowing you to select what drive(s), partition(s) or unused space on an
existing drive. You can setup to use LVM as well as encrypting the
device. (Fedora defaults to use LVM by the way so just watch what you
check and select). Should be fairly easy from there.