[ale] AT&T DSL Support - it is a Turing Test?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Fri Aug 14 16:31:09 EDT 2009

Any thoughts on how a human being with 20 years of network setup
experience actually talks to an intelligent support person at AT&T
regarding DSL?

Using the phone doesn't work - you end up with something that almost,
but doesn't quite, speak Engrish and once you spend a half hour
explaining to them how their own product works they miraculously manage
to hang up on you before escalating the call.

Using the Chat doesn't work - pretty much the same as above, although
slower.
You guys need to diagnose why the upgrade to 6mbit didn't work.
               "Please check the wireless configuration".

I don't NEED to check the wireless, the dang web display on the DSL
device says 2700Kbits download negotatiated".

                "Please standby while I figure out how to disconnect
you."

                "We are experiencing higher than usual service times".

Yeah, because nobody there knows a FF about DSL or networking!

Let me guess: using Email is pretty much the same, but even slower?

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd