[ale] BTRFS - used it?

Jeff Layton laytonjb at att.net
Fri Aug 7 09:48:21 EDT 2009

david w. millians wrote:
> Greg Freemyer wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 1:12 PM, David W. Millians<millia at panix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I do realize I'll have to load a custom kernel, of course. I'm just more
>>> interested in the real-world stability of BTRFS.
>>>
>> Why?
>>

> Custom as opposed to the stock debian kernel. I generally find I get
> insignificant returns tweaking on the kernel; but then, I'm not running
> a big fancy VM-serving monster either, to where it's more
> cost-effective. Me, I just tweak the system to save power.
>

>> BTRFS is in mainline, not that I would want to use it at this point.
>>

> I'm not entirely sure I do either; 's why I was asking. :)
>
> I think I might try it anyway, since the system won't go on it, just
> storage, and I'm going to have backup for sure, and I'm going to have
> checksums for everything going on to it. 2 backups of the music; tagging
> is onerous work...

I've been testing BTRFS off and on and it's really good. But I agree
with everyone else that I wouldn't trust my data to it (yet). It's got
one the fastest development cycles I've seen and should be ready for
real production work in a year or so (I hope). There are still pieces
left to finish and then stability testing needs to beat on it.

In the meantime, I would recommend ext4. It's stable and much faster
than ext3. Plus the size limitations have been pushed out quite a bit.

Jeff