[ale] BTRFS - used it?

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Fri Aug 7 10:07:46 EDT 2009

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Jeff Layton wrote:

> I've been testing BTRFS off and on and it's really good. But I agree
> with everyone else that I wouldn't trust my data to it (yet). It's got
> one the fastest development cycles I've seen and should be ready for
> real production work in a year or so (I hope). There are still pieces
> left to finish and then stability testing needs to beat on it.
>
> In the meantime, I would recommend ext4. It's stable and much faster
> than ext3. Plus the size limitations have been pushed out quite a bit.

Indeed.  In due time, btrfs will likely become the default filesystem for
many distributions; this is the intention of the kernel developers, as far
as I am aware.

The design and the layout makes a great deal of sense, and the
capabilities, I think, are arguably the right direction for filesystems to
be heading in.  Of course, only time will tell.

 	--- Mike