[ale] BTRFS - used it?

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Thu Aug 6 10:12:26 EDT 2009

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 1:12 PM, David W. Millians<millia at panix.com> wrote:
>> I do realize I'll have to load a custom kernel, of course. I'm just more
>> interested in the real-world stability of BTRFS.
> Why?

Custom as opposed to the stock debian kernel. I generally find I get
insignificant returns tweaking on the kernel; but then, I'm not running
a big fancy VM-serving monster either, to where it's more
cost-effective. Me, I just tweak the system to save power.

> BTRFS is in mainline, not that I would want to use it at this point.

I'm not entirely sure I do either; 's why I was asking. :)

I think I might try it anyway, since the system won't go on it, just
storage, and I'm going to have backup for sure, and I'm going to have
checksums for everything going on to it. 2 backups of the music; tagging
is onerous work...

> So if btrfs is your goal, you will want to use the most current r&d
> kernel you can.  I'm a opensuse user and they often are just a week or
> two behind kernel.org at releasing "factory" kernels.

Debian is... well, it's not 2 years, I don't think.