[ale] Building the perfect Linux end-user systems.

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 14:47:26 EDT 2006

I have been talking with a friend of mine, and we've had this idea for a
little while to determine what would be a set of ideal configurations
for Linux machines that would be targeted to end-users.  Something along
the lines of a low/medium/high end set of configurations, to be able to
fit different target "audiences."

The major problem with this idea is that neither of us really know where
to start -- neither of us are typical end-users, and so we don't really
know what to look for in terms of putting together something for a
target audience.  Of course, we know that people like to play games, and
that is a bit of a problem, it would seem.

Given that not all games run on Wine or even CrossOver, it would seem
that for die-hard gamers, the only real considerable solution would be
to include a copy of Windows under an emulator or something.  That is a
pretty ugly scenario, though.  Anyway, it would seem that no matter what
targets we are looking at, we cannot really build a machine for a gamer,
because there is no real way to make 3D intensive Windows games run at
native speeds under a Linux system.

Anyway, in building systems, what have y'all found to be the best
hardware, both in terms of performance and compatibility, for running
Linux systems?  Motherboards, 3D-graphics hardware, chipsets, etc.?

(As far as 3D hardware goes, by the way -- does anybody know if there
are standalone video boards that use the i8x0 family of chipsets?  I
have only seen those on motherboards with Intel chipsets, and they do a
very good job with video display, but I don't want to restrict myself to
Intel-based systems, either...)

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch <fd0man at gmail.com> - Jabber: fd0man at livejournal.com

Demand freedom: Use open and free protocols, standards, and software.