[ale] playlists not available in RealPlayer?

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Tue Nov 14 02:46:31 EST 2006

It's all about what you use your music player for, and how you use it.
If you're a huge minimalist and all you want is a playlist and some play
controls, then XMMS is probably for you. On the other hand, Amarok
offers iTunes-like "jukebox" format, the ability to sync with iPods (or
other portable media players), album covers and lyrics, animations, and
lots more, all nicely integrated with KDE.

Personally, I tend toward just using simple playlists like you
described. However, I think the Amarok interface is more attractive, I
like the integration with KDE, and occasionally I really do enjoy having
lyrics or album art close at hand. I've now switched to a Macbook for
most of my daily computing (and hence to iTunes on OS X). However, if I
were still using a Linux desktop on a daily basis, I would definitely be
interested in having all of the above tied into my iPod as well - which
only Amarok offers for Linux users.

I guess the point is, if you're a minimalist user who just wants the
player to be invisible in the background, then XMMS and Amarok are going
to have minimal differences for you (if any). I can certainly understand
that approach, since I used XMMS (and Coolplayer on Windows before that)
for the same reasons before switching over. At the same time, my best
friend has an enormous music collection and manages it all through
Amarok quite happily, and I'd consider him a "power user" of his media
player ;)

The song notifications can be turned off in the Amarok preferences. I'd
suggest you try turning those off and just use Amarok for a few days.
See if it grows on you...if it doesn't, worst case scenario you can just

-Jay