[ale] playlists not available in RealPlayer?

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Tue Nov 14 09:45:23 EST 2006

Thanks for the info Jay.

I do find Amarok quite similar to iTunes, though with a couple of nice
bits in its tab list that I don't remember from the last time I used
iTunes.  The iPod sync option could be quite useful.  Since I'm not a
KDE user, I don't see the "integration" you mention.

Interestingly, Amarok chokes on a few of my MP3s, ones that I am
certain that I encoded with lame.  (I also have some that I encoded
with iTunes.)  It reads them and displays the correct title, length,
&c but skips right over them when it attempts to play.  That was
rather disappointing; even though it's only two so far, that's two
more than XMMS didn't like.  I haven't poked around to see which
decoder it uses under the hood, but I wonder if it uses a non-standard
codec.

Amarok's memory footprint is also much larger than XMMS.  I wonder if
that has to do with its back-end database.  On my box, Amarok uses
about 50MB of real memory, versus 15M for XMMS with the same song
list.  VM size differences are even more extreme.

Since it sounds like XMMS is dying, is there another simple
alternative out there? I think Rhythmbox is unusable for a song list
the size of mine.

--
Bj?rn Gustafsson