[ale] Size does count.

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Mon Jun 12 15:01:31 EDT 2006

On 6/12/2006 at 12:43 PM Vernard Martin wrote:

>I'm thinking about upgrading my linux desktop. The current one is a 1Ghz
>Athlon with 1GB of ram and 20GB hard drive (I have my music collection
>on another machine).
>
>I've always been a fan of small, quiet computers so I'm thinking that
>this time I'll buy something new that fits both of those requirements.

Buy whatever hardware you want.  Remember, sound comes primarily from fans and the harddrive(s).  Find a good insulator for the harddrive(s) and use fanless watercooling for your processor (and video card if necessary).  Look for a FANLESS external power supply that is reliable.  One more thing to consider is mineral oil.  I've heard of some geeks use aquariums with mineral oil or vegetable oil to cool the cpu and standard power supply.

Links:

Fanless Water Cooler: (~$200 to ~$250)
<http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=63&code=021>
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=63&code=021

Fanless Power Supply:
XG Magnum 600: (~$60)
<http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/299/1>
<http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/299/1>

Oil Cooling:
($$$ Varies)
Great article on Tom's Hardware this past January (06)
<http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/>
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/

A "cool" oil cooling site that I saw last year:
<http://www.markusleonhardt.de.nyud.net:8090/oelbilder.html>
http://www.markusleonhardt.de.nyud.net:8090/oelbilder.html

HTH,
Robert~

SIXIT Consulting
H: 770-320-0181 or (478) 599-1300
Cell: 678-438-6955 or (478) 599-1301
Fax: 866-355-3720 (Toll-Free)

2907-I Watson Blvd
Warner Robins, GA 31093-8535
United States

   * Microsoft is NOT a standard. *

NOTICE: With respect to all communications you make to any sixit.com email address, including but not limited to feedback, questions, comments, suggestions and the like: (a) you shall have no right of confidentiality in your communications and SIXIT Consulting shall have no obligation to protect your communications from disclosure; (b) SIXIT Consulting shall be free to reproduce, use, disclose and distribute your communications to others without limitation and without expectation of compensation to you and without notice to you; and (c) SIXIT Consulting shall be free to use without any expectation of compensation to you any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in your communications for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to the development, production and marketing of products and services that incorporate such information; particularly if your message is of an unsolicited nature.