[ale] Size does count.

Robert Story rstory-l at 2006.revelstone.com
Mon Jun 12 17:48:28 EDT 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:52:31 -0400 James wrote:
JPKI> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 12:43 -0400, Vernard Martin wrote:
JPKI> > I'm thinking about upgrading my linux desktop. The current one is a
JPKI> > 1Ghz Athlon with 1GB of ram and 20GB hard drive (I have my music
JPKI> > collection on another machine).
JPKI> >
JPKI> > I've always been a fan of small, quiet computers so I'm thinking that
JPKI> > this time I'll buy something new that fits both of those requirements.
JPKI>
JPKI> Get one big, noisy fan box and a little thin client. Park the big box
JPKI> somewhere you don't have to listen to it and setup LTSP and a network
JPKI> line to the thin client. Use the thin client for your desktop. As long
JPKI> as you don't need OpenGL 3D graphics for a game, you're golden. Need
JPKI> more access, add a network line and another TC.

I'll second this. I just set up LTSP this weekend, on an EPIA ML5000 fanless
box I got for $230 (sans HD/memory). It's got room for a slimline CD/DVD, HD
and 1 PCI slot.

I just popped in a 64MB dimm I had lying around, set up LTSP, and I'm into my
main development box. Haven't stressed tested it yet, but so far, so good!

Here's the link:

	http://www.cappuccinopc.com/expando.asp