[ale] OT: Go Vote!

fd0man™—The Magical Floppy Man fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 20:24:13 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 20:11 -0400, Chris Ness wrote:

> Actually, it is one of the better things the founding fathers gave us. And we
> need it now more than ever. It is the same as the number of Senators and
> Representatives. It gives some balance to the people who live in places other
> than California and New York. As it is, candidates don't even campaign - at
> all - in as many as half the states. People who live in South Dakota for
> example barely count now, but at least they have 3 electors. Since the
> passage of the Seventeenth Amendment of the Constitution, we are barely the
> United states of America anymore and are gravitating to being the People's
> Republic of America. Here in Georgia, we still barely count. Go to a strict
> plurality, we won't count at all.

Considering that it seems that the only thing outside of elections that
the voters can do directly with regard to exercising their rights to
vote is to recall an election, I would have to agree with that.  The
only thing that I really don't like about GA is the fact that the voters
do not have the ability to draft and enact or repeal laws on their own,
through a process of either constitutional or statute law initiative or
referendum.  Referendum is actually a very nice ability to have?I have
watched it work many times in Ohio, along with initiative to pass better
laws then the ones repealed by the public.  :)

    ? Mike

--
The fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man! (fd0man at gmail.com)
"One world, one web, one program"  ?Microsoft promotional ad